100% GOOD (1 votes)Đã trả lờiCâu Hỏi Về Ngôn Ngữ
What is the name of these sequences in English?


What is the best name for all of the following sequences in English?

 3, 2, 1; 2, 4, 6; 1, 3, 5; ...

Is it possible to call all of them "famous mathematical sequences" or just "famous sequences"?


  • 3 các câu trả lời
HyaSky profile picture HyaSkyOctober 2019
I am not a mathematician, so someone better at math can correct me, but I think the correct terms are "descending (whole numbers)," "ascending (even numbers)," and "ascending (odd numbers)." There might be more specific names I don't know, but these are the basic mathematical terms: Descending when the numbers become smaller, ascending when the numbers become larger; even for 2,4,6,8, etc., and odd for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. Whole numbers have no fractions or decimals (all the numbers you wrote are whole numbers).

I think the term "Famous sequences" wouldn't work. I've never heard it before: So people would just ask you "What famous sequences?" and you'd have to explain them in regular terms.
exRanger profile picture exRangerOctober 2019
HyaSky -- she's got it. Only thing I'll add is that the first batch, i.e., "descending whole numbers", could as well be (more colloquially) called a "countdown", e.g., a "countdown" leading up to the "lift-off" (ie, firing) of a rocket.