Дать ответы - English

100% GOOD (1 votes)Ответил(а)Языковой вопрос
What is the name of these sequences in English?


What is the best name for all of the following sequences in English?

 3, 2, 1; 2, 4, 6; 1, 3, 5; ...

Is it possible to call all of them "famous mathematical sequences" or just "famous sequences"?


Дать ответы
  • 3 ответы
HyaSky profile picture HyaSkyOctober 2019
I am not a mathematician, so someone better at math can correct me, but I think the correct terms are "descending (whole numbers)," "ascending (even numbers)," and "ascending (odd numbers)." There might be more specific names I don't know, but these are the basic mathematical terms: Descending when the numbers become smaller, ascending when the numbers become larger; even for 2,4,6,8, etc., and odd for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. Whole numbers have no fractions or decimals (all the numbers you wrote are whole numbers).

I think the term "Famous sequences" wouldn't work. I've never heard it before: So people would just ask you "What famous sequences?" and you'd have to explain them in regular terms.
exRanger profile picture exRangerOctober 2019
HyaSky -- she's got it. Only thing I'll add is that the first batch, i.e., "descending whole numbers", could as well be (more colloquially) called a "countdown", e.g., a "countdown" leading up to the "lift-off" (ie, firing) of a rocket.