- Mxmachine2 weeks ago
|exRanger2 weeks ago|
A very brief a question with an incredibly BIG answer. Hmm... probably best to address this topic in stages.
In the English language:
1. Word "the" is what's called an "article".
2. In English there are two types of articles: 'definite' and 'indefinite'.
3. Word "the" is 'definite'.
Are you still with me, Mxmachine? If yes, we'll continue on to the next stage of the anlysis.
Berlusconi4 days agoThe is a definite article. We use it
* when the counterpart understand what we're talking about:
I met a man yesterday on my way home; The man was so embarrassing.
Note: the is used the second time because we already mentioned 'man' with an indefinite article.
* We also use the with titles without names.
We have a long meeting with the President
President MACRON must deliver a speech soon.
* We use the with things which are unique(only one exists)
The sun, the moon, the Alps, the read sea, etc.
Mxmachine5 days agoYes