Welcome to the French lessons and resources page! Here, you will find a variety of resources to help you learn and improve your French skills. Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate learner, this page offers a range of materials to help you achieve your language learning goals.
In this page, you will find lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and more. You will also find resources such as videos, audio files, and interactive exercises to help you practice and improve your French skills.
We aim to provide a comprehensive and engaging learning experience, so whether you are studying French for personal enrichment or professional development, you will find the resources you need here. So start exploring our French lessons and resources today, and take the first step towards mastering the French language!
Facts about French[edit | edit source]
- French descended from Vulgar Latin, like all other Romance languages.
- French evolved from Gallo-Romance, the Latin spoken in Gaul. Its closest relatives are the other "langues d'oïl".
- French was also influenced by the native Celtic languages of Northern Roman Gaul.
- Today, owing to France's past overseas expansion, there are numerous French-based creole languages, most notably Haitian Creole.
- A French-speaking person or nation may be referred to as Francophone.
- In modern terms, it is still significantly used as a diplomatic language, being an official language of the United Nations, the Olympic Games, and the European Union.
- It is the official language of 29 countries and is spoken in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Tunisia, Morocco, Senegal, Haiti, the Ivory Coast, Madagascar, the Congo, Algeria, Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Gabon, Seychelles, Burundi, Chad, Rwanda, Djibouti, Cameroon, Mauritius, and Canada (mostly in the province of Québec, where it is the primary language, but it is also used in other parts of the country - notably New Brunswick, which is the only bilingual province).
- Language code (ISO 639-3):
- Autonyms (how to write "French" in French):
- "French" in other languages:
Francès, Français, Frans, Französisch, Francese, Francés, Barang, Frantsay
- The French language is spoken in:
Sources[edit | edit source]
French Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
• Trésor de la langue française: the most important dictionary of the French language, meaning & etymology
• Le Robert: French dictionary, meanings, synonyms [[new.htm|[[File:../images/newlink.gif|class=img-0|what's new?]]]]
• Petit dictionnaire des suffixes du français, by Danièle Morvan
• Liste des noms communs et des adjectifs correspondant aux noms propres de personnes et de lieux
• Les conjugaisons (conjugation)
• Larousse: French dictionary, meanings, quotations
• Encyclopédie Larousse: French encyclopaedia
• Usito: francophone dictionary, Université de Sherbrooke (Québec)
• Dictionnaire visuel: visual dictionary, by topics
• Dictionnaire de l'Académie française: French dictionary (1935 & older editions)
• Reverso: French-English dictionary & words in context & French dictionary (meanings, synonyms)
• Collins: French-English dictionary
• WordReference: French-English dictionary
• Linguee: French-English translation of a phrase
• Le Grand dictionnaire terminologique: French-English terminological dictionary & meaning in French (Québec)
• Iate: multilingual terminological dictionary (European Union)
• Crisco: synonyms dictionary & antonyms
• Atlas sémantiques: French & English synonyms
• Dictionnaire des synonymes: synonyms dictionary, Larousse (1977)
• Dictionnaire analogique: analogical dictionary, Larousse (1980)
• Expressio: meaning of the French expressions
• Loecsen: French-English common phrases (+ audio)
• Goethe-Verlag: French-English common phrases & illustrated vocabulary (+ audio)
• Learn French: useful & familiar expressions (+ audio) (BBC)
• Shtooka: French words, with translation (audio)
• Tatoeba: sentences in French, with translation (audio)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Free French Lessons[edit | edit source]
Language Exchange[edit | edit source]
Forum[edit | edit source]
Tools[edit | edit source]
Marketplace[edit | edit source]
Last Lessons[edit | edit source]
Art — Information questions — Imperatives — Other tenses indicating the time at which events occur relative to other events — The future — The past — The present — Wallis and Futuna Timeline — Togo Timeline — St Pierre and Miquelon Timeline — French Society and Lifestyle — Major Events in French History — French Cinema and Literature — French Cuisine and Gastronomy — Transportation and Accommodation — Regions and Cities in France — Music and Entertainment — Sports and Fitness Activities — Beverages and Drinking Habits — Food and Eating Habits — Romantic Relationships — Family Members — Time and Dates — Cardinal and Ordinal Numbers — Interrogation — Formation and Use of Adverbs — Comparative and Superlative Adjectives — Agreement of Adjectives — Futur Proche — Passé Composé
Vincent and Maintenance script