From Polyglot Club WIKI
Hi Polyglots! 😃
Welcome to the Yoruba learning page!
You will find below many free resources to learn and practice this language.
Enjoy your learning journey with Polyglot Club! 😊
Facts about Yoruba
- Language code (ISO 639-3):
- Autonyms (how to write "Yoruba" in Yoruba):
Èdè Yorùbá / عِدعِ يوْرُبا
- Other names for "Yoruba":
Yariba, Yooba, Yorùbá, Èdè Yorùbá
- The Yoruba language is spoken in:
Yoruba is a language spoken in West Africa, most prominently Southwestern Nigeria. It is spoken by the ethnic Yoruba people. The number of Yoruba speakers is stated as roughly 50 million, plus about 2 million second-language speakers.
As a pluricentric language, it is primarily spoken in a dialectal area spanning Nigeria with smaller migrated communities in Cote d'Ivoire, Sierra Leone and The Gambia.
• YorubaDictionary: Yoruba-English dictionary, by Pamela Smith & Adebusola Onayemi
• Freelang: Yoruba-English dictionary
• Dictionary of the Yoruba language (1910)
• Vocabulary of the Yoruba language by Samuel Ajayi Crowther (1852)
• Vocabulary of the Yoruba language (1843)
• Grammar and dictionary of the Yoruba language by Thomas Bowen (1858)
• The body in Yoruba [PDF] by Mark Dingemanse (2006)
• The Yoruba animal metaphors by Adesola Olateju, in Nordic journal of African studies (2005)
• Yoruba names and gender marking by Olanikė Ola Orie, in Anthropological linguistics (2002)
• Historical changes in Yoruba names (2016)
Free Yoruba Lessons