From Polyglot Club WIKI
< Language | English | Vocabulary
Rate this lesson:
Home, sweet home...
Hi everyone! In this lesson we are going to learn some vocabulary related to "Home".
|cozy||warm and comfortable|
|cramped||not having enough space|
|dingy||dirty and dark|
|bright||having a lot of light|
|spaciousness||having alot of space|
|roomy||large in size|
|convenient||easy to get|
|private||belonging to one person|
|shabby||to be in a poor condition|
|tenant||person who pays rent|
|noisy||making alot of noise|
|safe||free from danger|
Here are some useful expressions using "Home". Feel free to complete the list by editing this wiki page ;)
A man’s home is his castle
- Meaning: a sentiment that a man should have freedom to do what he wants in his home (originally “An Englishman’s home is his castle”)
- Meaning: make clearly appreciated or understood (usually said of something unpleasant)
Bring home the bacon
- Meaning: earn a wage, or be successful
Charity begins at home
- Meaning: a sentiment that one should take care of family and friends before offering aid to others
Chickens will/have come home to roost
- Meaning: said as an admonition that actions have consequences
Come home to roost
- Meaning: return to cause trouble, in an analogy to chickens returning to their coop at the end of the day
Go home and get (one’s) beauty sleep
- Meaning: said jocularly of or by one who must depart early, facetiously because of the necessity of getting enough rest to avoid being considered unattractive because of sleep deprivation
- Meaning: Something that combines the qualities of two different things
- Example: This band is a halfway house between rock and pop.
A house of cards
- Meaning: An organization or plan that is weak and can easily be destroyed
- Example: Their plan turned out to be a house of cards.
As safe as houses
- Meaning: Be very safe
- Example: I’ve locked the door. They’re as safe as houses.