From Polyglot Club WIKI
Hi Polyglots! 😃
Welcome to the Tamil learning page!
You will find below many free resources to learn and practice this language.
Enjoy your learning journey with Polyglot Club! 😊
Facts about Tamil[edit | edit source]
- Language code (ISO 639-3):
- Autonyms (how to write "Tamil" in Tamil):
- Other names for "Tamil":
Damulian, Tamal, Tamalsan, Tambul, Tamili
- The Tamil language is spoken in:
Tamil is a Dravidian language natively spoken by the Tamil people of South Asia. Tamil is an official language of the sovereign nations of Sri Lanka and Singapore, the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, and the Union Territory of Puducherry. Tamil is spoken by significant minorities in the four other South Indian states of Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana and the Union Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is also spoken by the Tamil diaspora found in many countries, including Malaysia, Myanmar, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia and Mauritius. Tamil is also natively spoken by Sri Lankan Moors.
One of 22 scheduled languages in the Constitution of India, Tamil was the first to be classified as a classical language of India and is one of the longest-surviving classical languages in the world.
Sources[edit | edit source]
Tamil Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
• Kapruka: Tamil-English & Sinhala-English (+ audio)
• Tamildict: Tamil-English dictionary & Tamil-German
• Tamicube: Tamil-English dictionary
• Tamil moli akarathi: Tamil dictionary by Kathiraiver Pillai (1928)
• Tamil and English dictionary by Johann Philipp Fabricius (1972)
• Core vocabulary for Tamil by David McAlpin (1981)
• Anglo-Tamil dictionary by Peter Percival (1867)
• Comprehensive Tamil and English dictionary of high and low Tamil by Miron Winslow (1862)
• English and Tamil dictionary by Joseph Knight & Levi Spaulding (1852)
• English and Tamil dictionary, Manuel lexikon for schools, by Joseph Knight, Levi Spaulding & Samuel Hutchings (1844)
• Phrasebook by P. Ramasawmy (1854)
• Classified collection of Tamil proverbs with translation into English, by Herman Jensen (1897)
• Tamil proverbs with their English translation, by Peter Percival (1874)