English Culture: «Internet resources for learning English»
From Polyglot Club WIKI
If your English is not good, find links with “!!”.
Those mentioned in Language/Multiple-languages/Culture/Internet-resources-for-polyglots are not to be listed again here.
It is suggested to learn English through English if you are able to do so. If you are not, try to do it with the help of an English speaker.
- 1 !! https://thetypingcat.com/
- 2 !! https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/
- 3 !! https://www.elsanow.io/home
- 4 https://www.vocabulary.com/
- 5 !! http://latinandgreekrootwords.com/
- 6 https://www.elevateapp.com/
- 7 https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/
- 8 https://www.dictionary.com/
- 9 http://www.manythings.org/
- 10 https://sourceforge.net/projects/toeflpractice/
- 11 http://treegle.xyz/
- 12 https://onelook.com/
- 13 https://visuwords.com/
- 14 http://www.analyzemywriting.com/
- 15 https://writefullapp.com/
- 16 !! https://udictionaryblog.com/
- 17 https://www.phrases.org.uk/
- 18 !! https://www.storynory.com/
- 19 https://parla.ai/
- 20 !! https://knudge.me/
- 21 https://www.urbandictionary.com/
- 22 !! https://www.talkenglish.com/
- 23 !! https://helloenglish.com/
- 24 https://wordfeud.com/
- 25 https://rhymezone.com/
- 26 https://iwl.me/
- 27 !! https://www.grammarly.com/
For typing fluently. It supports many keyboard layouts.
Useful tools and information, from Skills (Courses is only a trial) to Apps. The earlier Flash version of that pronunciation chart is https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/sites/teacheng/files/TEphonemic_GreyBlue2_0.swf.
For training speaking.
A great site for practising words.
Word roots. It is not hard to find, but many people neglect it.
It helps you to pass through the prolonged intermediate phase.
Guide to punctuation, for English only.
The most popular online dictionary.
Many things, including many articles and several books with audio. The pages are not designed well, but the contents are not that bad.
A program for practising TOFEL speaking skills.
If you don't know a word in the definition, just click on it and see its definition.
It reminds me of a philosophy question of language: if you search for a word's definition in a dictionary, you can get its definition with more words, but how can a word be linked with a concept?
Find results in many dictionaries at a single time.
Excellent for seeing the relations between words. But there is only one part of speech for each word, which is a big flaw.
Analyze your writing, or other people's.
A good helper of writing.
It is aimed for English learning.
This site has a lot of phrases with their origins.
Little stories with audio.
Artificial teacher for practice. Supported languages are few now.
For training. It is simple.
A cool dictionary, as cool as Uncyclopedia.
A huge amount of lessons. You still need basic English knowledge to enjoy this one, ironically. But you also need basic English knowledge to read my words.
For Indians (people of the Asian country). You will not only learn English but also be clear about Indian programmers' style.
Word game with multilingual dictionaries.
For composing poets. There are also other functions.
See who writes like you. Just for fun. They say Cory Doctorow for me, every time.
It is yet another privacy nightmare. Do not use, or use with caution.
If you want to enjoy their premium corrections with a free account, you can just let it check your sentences one by one, and make changes to the sentence little by little and try to make it indicate no premium correction.